Getting booked for driving under influence is bound to have several consequences. Very often, people accused of drunken driving may not necessarily be guilty, but do not have sufficient evidence to prove otherwise. Obvious and advisable as it may be, there are many of us who cannot give up the habit of finishing off the work day, a private dinner or a celebration with a few drinks. This may not really mean that we cannot drive back home safely.
There are, however, just three simple ways to avoid this problem – abstain from drinks, tackle the problem logically, or seek the help of expert DUI lawyers. Here are some dos and don’ts that help deal with the problem.
DUI – DOs
- Avoid speeding or any other form of traffic violations that may get the vehicle noticed.
- Avoid shady locations, short cuts or routes lined with bars or pubs.
- Keep vehicle in good shape, with a clean license plate, and all lights intact and functional.
- Keep vehicle documents organized and easily accessible.
- Remember to roll down windows to flush out any traces of alcohol (in case one has had a few drinks).
- Request a video when stopped by police if not been drinking. This video will help prove that the driver is definitely not inebriated.
DUI – DON’Ts
- Do not borrow a vehicle from a person who has a record of drunken driving or accidents.
- Do not panic when stopped for an enquiry. Provide relevant answers to questions.
- Do not confess to drinking (even if just a small peg).
- Do not subject to any form of testing as it is not mandatory. A person is well within his or her rights when refusing any of tests that are conducted to prove drunken driving. These tests almost always never work in favor of the driver.
The key is to stay low, calm and composed, and not give the officer any glaring reasons to specifically pursue the case. In case of being booked for DUI, it is important to hire experienced, knowledgeable DUI lawyers to systematically address all aspects, from questioning the validity of the tests to capitalizing on any inconsistencies in the process to successfully win the case.
About the author – Jay Tiftickjian is a Denver DUI attorney and is published in many national legal texts about DUI defense. He is also editor of his blog where he posts up to date information and case law pertaining to DUI in the State of Colorado.